How to Buy Outdoor Flooring
If you are feeling like it is time to start planning for an outdoor floor, then it is time to get educated on your options and what to look out for. Read on to learn all you need to know on purchasing outdoor floors.
Know Your Environment
Patio decks, playgrounds, pool surrounds, rooftops and other outdoor spaces can be heavily impacted by the elements. In places where the sun is strong and temperatures high, flooring may fade, expand or morph. Rain, snow and humidity can cause problems of their own. Some flooring products are designed to withstand one specific element, while others are made to withstand all types of weather. Thus, it is important to be conscious of your climate when planning for outdoor flooring. The following will walk you through different factors to be conscious of as you begin the process of purchasing outdoor floors.
Will the Floor Be Exposed to Moisture?
Luckily, there are plenty of outdoor floors made exactly for such spaces. If moisture is a factor for you, think about purchasing outdoor floors with a drain-through design so water doesn't pool up on the surface. Plus, good drainage means air can flow through so water doesn't pool underneath the surface either. Also consider buying outdoor floors that maintain good traction even when wet.
Benefits of Alternative Outdoor Flooring Materials
- Flexible tiles absorb shock, making for a safer flooring surface. Some even offer fall height ratings.
- Eco-friendly, rubber tiles are made from recycled rubber, so fewer vehicle tires end up in landfills.
- Dense rubber is heavy, and is less prone to shifting than lighter flooring options.
- Highly durable rubber is resistant to fluctuating temperatures, maintaining its original form no matter the weather.
- Get the look and feel of real grass without the hassle, mess, or maintenance.
- Artificial grass allow water to drain right through, so there's no puddling and no mess.
- Super comfortable, artificial grass creates a luxurious surface.
- Suitable as a portable flooring over grass and over dirt, plastic flooring is versatile and easy to install.
- Many plastic tiles offer anti-fatigue benefits, making for a soft and forgiving surface.
- Choose from designer options to create an eye-catching yet safe surface.
- Raised base tiles prevent the growth of mold and mildew, and are ideal for swimming pools and wet areas.
- Some tiles carry an ASTM fall height rating, offering excellent safety for play or pool areas.
Greatmats.com offers a vast number of resources to aid you, start to finish, in purchasing outdoor floors. First, start scrolling through videos, blogs, how to's, and customer profiles all located within the Greatmats Buyer's Guide. It is a flooring-specific library, curated with information to help you in purchasing your perfect floor.
If the Greatmats Buyer's Guide isn't quite deep enough for you, the wealth of knowledge of Greatmats Flooring Experts certainly will be. The friendly customer service folk are at the ready to chat out your vision for the floor, help you hone in on a few specific products, answer any remaining questions, and get your new floor to your door.
Research a specific product by getting a clear image of what exactly what it would look like in your space. You can actually do this with unlimited access to Greatmats' Pro Floor Designer. The floor designer allows you to enter the real dimensions of your space so you can get a lifelike visual of what the product would be like in it. You can even mess around with different colors and designs. With Greatmats Pro Floor Designer, you can feel like professional designer in just a few simple steps.