From drainage to durability, wet area floors need these qualities
By Paige Cerulli
Wet Area Flooring Qualities & FeaturesAs you choose your pool decking or water park flooring, look for a product that offers the following qualities.
- Drainage: Choose a flooring designed to maximize drainage. Standing water on top of flooring is dangerous, so look for a perforated product that will quickly drain water away from its surface. Many products have raised bases, which allows air and moisture to circulate beneath. This promotes faster drying, and helps to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Traction: When flooring gets wet, it gets slippery. Wet area flooring needs to maximize traction for safety. Products with highly textured surfaces are likely to provide more traction.
- Anti-Microbial: When flooring is frequently wet, it creates an ideal environment to breed bacteria. Many wet area flooring options are designed to be anti-microbial or anti-fungal.
- Waterproof: Any flooring designed for use in a wet area should be waterproof so the floor will not be damaged. If a product is just water-resistant, then frequent saturation can damage the product. Be sure to purchase flooring that is intended specifically for use in wet areas.
- Durability: High traffic means a high degree of wear and tear, which some products will handle better than others. Choose a flooring with a high degree of durability if you want to get the most out of your investment.
- Comfort: If the product will be used in an area where people frequently walk barefoot, such as indoor water park flooring, then it's important to choose a flooring that's comfortable and forgiving, even under bare feet. You may want something that helps to absorb shock, or that is fall height rated, since it can help to minimize potential injuries in the case of a fall.
- Manufacturer's Warranty: When you need a durable product, make sure that it's backed by a manufacturer's warranty.
- UV-resistant: If you're looking for a product that will be used outdoors, then you'll want to find a product that is UV-stable or UV-resistant. These products are designed to prevent fading in the sun, maintaining their original appearance for years to come.
Top Flooring Choices for Wet AreasAt Greatmats, you'll have plenty of choices when it comes to walkway mats, pool decking, and other high traffic wet area flooring. Our top flooring options are made of PVC, rubber, and foam, and are designed with durability and safety in mind. We've highlighted some choice products below to help you get started.
Life Floor Super Grip Ripple TilesLife Floor Super Grip Ripple Tiles are versatile and suitable for use both indoors and outdoors. They're UV stable, and can withstand both very hot and very cold climates. Permanent installation is easy, and the tiles are backed by a 5-year warranty.
These waterproof tiles feature a ripple surface texture designed to provide superior traction. Because the tiles are made of foam, they're comfortable and forgiving underfoot. These tiles remain cooler to the touch, even when exposed to hot sun, a major advantage when they're used outdoors. They are also both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, so they can help to keep public spaces, like public pools, safer and healthier. Plus, the 7/8 inch thick tiles have a 4 foot ASTM fall height rating, providing extra protection in case a child falls off play equipment.
Choose these tiles for: Public pool decks, locker rooms, splash pads, water parks, and other wet areas
Life Floor Slate TilesLife Floor Slate Tiles offer an attractive slate surface texture that is both safe and durable. These tiles are designed to be comfortable underfoot, and are made of a foam-rubber combination to provide both durability and a soft, forgiving surface. Our 3/8 inch Life Floor Slate Tiles offer a 1 foot fall height rating by the ASTM.
These tiles are installed with a glue-down method. For indoor installations, these tiles are available with a peel and stick backing. These slate tiles are UV stable, as well as non-toxic and anti-microbial. They're backed by a 5-year warranty.
Choose these tiles for: Splash pads, pool decks, wet areas, water parks, and locker rooms
Ergo Matta Perforated TilesErgo Matta Perforated Outdoor Tile is a great option for wet area flooring as it has sun damage resistance, a 20-inch ASTM fall rating, and 8 bright color options. This plastic tile is suitable for use in temperatures ranging from -22 degrees F (-30 C) to +194 degrees F (90 C). While most tiles are square shaped, these tiles are rectangular for a more unique look. They measure 1.67 by 0.83 feet, giving you 1.39 square feet of coverage per tile.
These perforated tiles are an excellent wet area floor tile, where traffic volume is relatively high and traction under foot is required. Because the tiles have a raised base, air and water can freely circulate and dry, rather than become trapped beneath the tile. This makes for faster drying and helps to prevent mold and mildew growth. These tiles are easy to install with the interlocking edges.
Choose these tiles for: Pool decks, water parks, splash pads, locker rooms, and more
Safety Matta Perforated TilesSafety Matta Perforated Tiles are similar to our Ergo Matta Perforated Tiles. The non-slip diamond shield tread design helps to prevent falls, and the perforated design allows water to flow right through the tiles, so standing water isn't an issue.
These tiles feature an interlocking lug system for easy installation, and you can even trim them to fit if you're working around obstacles or within specific areas. They offer both ergonomic and anti-fatigue qualities, and make for a comfortable option especially where employees may be standing for long periods of time.
Choose these tiles for: Wet area work stations, entrance ways, showers, patios, and more
StayLock Perforated TilesStayLock Perforated Tiles are a popular choice for pool decks. These tiles are ASTM fall height rated to 20 inches, which helps to minimize injuries resulting from a slip or fall. The tiles are designed with a non-slip perforated surface that allows water to promptly drain from the surface. They're fully waterproof, and are even UV stable for 7 years, so they can be used indoors and out.
These perforated tiles are highly durable, and are backed by a 5-year warranty. Made of a flexible PVC, the tiles have a tab locking system which keeps them tightly connected during use.
Choose these tiles for: Pool decking, outdoor play areas, walkway mats, water parks, and more.
SoftFlex Floor Tiles
SoftFlex Floor Tiles are specifically designed for indoor wet areas. These tiles offer anti-fatigue benefits and have a unique texture that offers both safety and comfort. Though the tiles are entirely made of a flexible PVC, their texture almost resembles that of rubber shower flooring, but helps to prevent slipping when the flooring is wet. The tiles are perforated to drain water away from the surface. This texture also contributes to the tile's non-slip properties.
These tiles feature dozens of small pegs on their undersides, which helps to drain water away along the subfloor. The design allows air to also flow beneath the tiles, speeding the drying process and helping to prevent mold and mildew growth.
Choose these tiles for: Walkway mats, indoor water park flooring, shower areas, and more
Patio Outdoor TilesPatio Outdoor Tiles are a versatile option suitable for outdoor use. These PVC plastic tiles are comfortable on bare feet, and feature a drain-through design to prevent standing water from pooling on the tiles' surface. They are UV stable, and snap together for a fast and easy installation with no adhesive required.
Choose these tiles for: Pool decks, locker rooms, shower areas, and more
Heronrib MattingHeronrib Wet Area Safety Matting is the ultimate matting system for use in wet areas where barefoot traffic could be extensive. Heronrib Matting is a permanent or temporary barefoot wet area solution that is hygienic, and UV resistant. This wet area matting is easy to clean and maintain whether it is being used indoors or outdoors. Heronrib is a self draining safety matting that is warm and comfortable to stand on. Heronrib has a specially embossed textured surface for added slip resistance. Made from a strong, non-porous PVC sections with channeled underbars for effective drainage, even in the most extreme conditions. This matting is in a roll form so it can be quickly rolled out to provide extra traction in slippery areas.
Choose this matting for: indoor and outdoor pool decks, wet area walkways, locker rooms, and more